DATE APPROVED: November 20, 2002
DATE REVISED: May 31, 2003, November 14, 2003, August 20, 2004 February 3, 2006, February 25, 2008, December 14, 2009, May 2, 2010, December 6 and February 28, 2011
Article II, Section 1B of the By Laws provides for a membership classification of Signature Member. To qualify for Signature consideration members must have demonstrated exceptional merit and have exhibited in either: 1.) three national OPA shows; 2.) OR two national OPA shows and three OPA regional or salon shows. Regional and salon shows must be within the last five years.
To assure that the evaluation of candidates is fair and impartial and made by professionally qualified individuals, guidelines need to be followed.
THEREFORE, it is hereby resolved by the Board of Directors of Oil Painters of America that the following be adopted and followed in all future jurying for Signature Membership:
- The Signature Member Advisory Committee of OPA shall evaluate all applications for Signature Membership. This sub-committee shall be composed of five Members, preferably Master Signature Members.
- The applications shall be received by October 15 of each year. The Signature Member Advisory Committee will forward their recommendation to the Board of Directors, who shall make a final determination at their November meeting.
Submissions shall be ranked numerically by the jurors. The highest combined submission scores will be given the greatest consideration.
- Criteria to be evaluated include:
- Overall consistently outstanding quality of paintings that places the work at a high level of perfection.
- The committee requests that each applicant submit twelve digital images of their work, along with a two-page biography on CD or DVD disc. Please send 6 copies of the CD or DVD for distribution. Images must have been painted within the last two years. Workshop and instructional paintings are unacceptable.
- To be a Signature member, the artists must be an active dues-paying member. If a Signature Member does not pay his/her annual dues he/she will not be listed in the catalog for the year in question and is not entitled to use the OPA initials after his/her name. If a Signature Member has failed to pay his/her dues, he/she must be brought current in order to maintain his/her Signature status. As an alternative, he/she can elect to pay dues for the current year and be rejuried by the Signature Member Advisory Committee.
- A Signature member is permitted and encouraged to use the initials OPA following his name on his paintings and in published materials while holding Signature status.
- If it is determined that an Associate Member has used the initials OPA after his/her name, he/she shall be notified via certified mail that the use of the OPA initials is limited to Master and Signature Members. If the Associate Member continues to use the OPA initials after having received the above notification, the Associate shall lose his/her membership in OPA.
1 - JUROR OF AWARDS
Mission Statement & Bylaws
2 - SELECTION COMMITTEE
3 - MASTERS
4 - SIGNATURE MEMBERS
5 - MEMBER CONTACT LIST
6 - GRANTS AND FELLOWSHIPS
7 - ORIGINAL WORK
8 - ELIGIBLE PAINTINGS
9 - JUROR OF AWARDS TRAVEL REIMBURSEMENT
11 - BOARD OF DIRECTOR'S TRAVEL REIMBURSEMENT