MASTER SIGNATURE MEMBERSHIP
DATE APPROVED: October 29, 2001
DATE REVISED: February 11, 2002, May 21, 2002, November 20, 2002; November 14, 2003, December 14, 2009, December 6, 2010 and March 16, 2015
Article II, Section 1C of the By Laws provides for a membership classification of Master Signature Member. This classification is for Signature Members who have exhibited further evidence of master status.
To assure that the evaluation of candidates is fair and impartial and made by professionally qualified individuals, guidelines need to be followed.
THEREFORE, it is hereby resolved by the Board of directors of Oil Painters of America that the following be adopted and followed in all future jurying for Master Signature Membership:
- A sub-committee of the Masters’ Advisory Committee shall evaluate all applications for Master Signature Membership. This sub-committee shall be composed of a minimum of three Master Signature Members.
- The applications shall be received by September 1 of each year. The Masters’ Advisory Committee shall complete their review by October 31 and forward their recommendation to the Board of Directors, who shall make a final determination.
As part of the application process, artists will submit twenty images of his/her work, regardless of the year in which it was created.
The Masters’ Advisory Committee will judge each applicant giving a “yes” or “no” vote towards Master Signature status. Applicants must receive a majority vote in order to achieve Master Signature status.
- To qualify to submit for Master Signature Member status an artist must demonstrate that he/she consistently paints at an exceptionally high skill level, is of favorable recognition and a member in good standing, willing to contribute to the organization in a volunteer capacity and serve as a goodwill ambassador to the organization.
- Criteria to be evaluated include:
- Overall consistently outstanding quality of paintings that places the work at the highest level of perfection
- How many awards has the artist won and with what shows? What awards and what year?
- With what gallery or galleries does the artist show including dates?
- What is the artist’s education, formal or self-taught, including dates?
- Has the artist worked commercially? If so, in what capacity?
- How many years has the artist worked in fine arts as a professional? (How many years has the artist supported his or herself with their art?)
- In what museums has the artist shown? Is the artist part of any museum’s permanent collection? List museums.
- What articles have been published on the artist? List all published information including press releases.
- What book or books have been published by the artist?
- Will the artist support OPA if given Master Signature status? Will the artist be willing to jury or act as part of a committee if asked? (Not compulsory)
- Current status as a Signature Member of OPA
- Master Signature Membership shall be awarded on an individual basis. This status will not be given to multiple persons under one designation. The individual will be permitted and encouraged to use the initials OPAM following their name on paintings and in published materials. This policy does not apply to artists who obtained Master Signature status prior to 2009, although Masters are encouraged and welcome to participate as much as possible.
- In accordance with Article II 1C of the By Laws, on rare occasions the requirement for the individual under consideration to be a Signature Member may be waived. This shall be done only when the proposed Master Signature Member is at the highest level of professionalism, nationally recognized, and viewed to bring increased prestige to Oil Painters of America. Approval must first be provided from the Masters Advisory Committee. After the individual has been contacted and indicated his/her interest and willingness to support OPA, the Board (by unanimous vote) may provide its approval.
1 - JUROR OF AWARDS
Mission Statement & Bylaws
2 - SELECTION COMMITTEE
3 - MASTERS
4 - SIGNATURE MEMBERS
5 - MEMBER CONTACT LIST
6 - GRANTS AND FELLOWSHIPS
7 - ORIGINAL WORK
8 - ELIGIBLE PAINTINGS
9 - JUROR OF AWARDS TRAVEL REIMBURSEMENT
11 - BOARD OF DIRECTOR'S TRAVEL REIMBURSEMENT