BOARD OF DIRECTOR'S TRAVEL REIMBURSEMENT
DATE APPROVED: September 18, 2006
DATE REVISED: February 9, 2007 and February 26, 2009
Members of the Board of Directors who are traveling on behalf of OPA to the National Exhibition shall be entitled to reimbursement for expenses during his/her stay, provided that the Board Member has assigned duties over the course of the show. Only ordinary and necessary traveling expenses are reimbursable. In addition, all Board Members shall receive complimentary registration for all ticketed events relating to OPA's Regional and National Shows.
Members of the Board of Directors who are traveling from outside the Chicagoland area to Chicago for a Board Meeting, shall be entitled to reimbursement for expenses related to two Board Meetings (out of four meetings). Participation for the remaining two Board Meetings not covered under the policy, would be via conference call. Only ordinary and necessary traveling expenses are reimbursable.
The following are considered "ordinary and necessary expenses" and will be reimbursed:
- Full reimbursement of a coach airfare purchased at least 14 days in advance of the date of travel. OPA expects that all reasonable effort shall be made to obtain the lowest airfare possible. The purchase receipt is required for reimbursement.
- Hotel room charge and applicable taxes for room nights which are necessary in the execution of the duties assigned to the Board Member.
- Rental car (if necessary). Please check with your insurance agency before taking additional insurance coverage.
- Meals – an itemized receipt is required
- Use of a personal car shall be reimbursed at the prevailing IRS mileage rate. Reimbursement is limited to no more than the cost of coach airfare.
- While traveling, personal telephone calls are reimbursable though you are encouraged to make only calls that are necessary. OPA encourages the use of a personal cell phone where possible instead.
- Only ordinary and necessary traveling expenses are reimbursable.
Please advise OPA immediately of any extenuating circumstances we should be made aware of in regard to your traveling on OPA's behalf.
The following are generally not considered "ordinary and necessary expenses" and will not be reimbursed:
- Spouses and/or guests are most welcome and encouraged to attend, however, OPA is unable to pay any expenses related to his/her travel.
- Board Members must pay for all ticketed events for spouses and/or guests in advance of the National Show
- OPA will cover one alcoholic beverage with dinner, additional beverages are at the expense of the Board Member, unless authorized in advance by the President or Treasurer.
- Hotel movies
- Minibar expenses
- Reading materials
- AOL or similar on-line service provider expenses
- Additional expenses related to flying including, but not limited to, in-flight drinks or entertainment
Board members who must cancel their travel plans after having already purchased an airline ticket will be responsible for reimbursing OPA for the full cost of the airline ticket purchased. The airline ticket can then be used for personal travel. OPA strongly recommends that Board members consider purchasing flight insurance at their own expense if they believe there is a possibility of cancellation.
Requests for reimbursement are appreciated within 90 days of the show in question.
Original receipts showing the form of payment must be included for all charges of $25 or more.
The Treasurer shall interpret this policy in approving reimbursement expenses and his/her determination shall be final.